Phoenix English Skills: My.word/s Book 1
My.word/s is aimed at developing students' understanding of the English language and their ability to use it with authority and confidence. The text is topical, the format contemporary, and the activities designed to engage students so they learn the skills they need to make effective and successful use of English, from word through to text level, both within school and beyond.
Texts of different types and formats provide the basis for reading activities in each unit. These texts have been selected to stimulate student interest in, and learning from, both the texts themselves and the language and/or visual features they display. Aspects of language including grammar, punctuation, spelling and vocabulary are also treated explicitly and systematically in each unit. Each unit also features writing and talking and listening activities as well as additional activities that will extend and challenge the learner. These include:
- writing, including writing skill development and whole text composition using scaffolds
- talking and listening
- grammar and punctuation
- spelling and vocabulary
- extension activities bringing together a range of elements of English
Two comprehensive literacy tests for assessment and diagnosis are included in each book.
They can be used for:
- classroom exercises
- extra work
Contents Book 1
- Narrative (short story) ≈ The Stranger on the Stairs
- Poem (ballad) ≈ The Streets of Forbes
- Factual description ≈ Canberra
- Literacy Test 1
- Information report ≈ Cities
- Journal ≈ John McDouall Stuart Finds Central Mount Stuart
- Factual recount ≈ Thunderstorm Terror
- Cartoons ≈ World Environment Day
- Exposition ≈ Junk Food, or just Good Food?
- Discussion ≈ Is Tourism Good for Australia?
- Literacy Test 2
- Website ≈ The Sea-Slug Forum
- Table ≈ Australia's Worst Shipping Disasters
- Fact file ≈ Olympic Volunteers
|Date of Publication||2010|